March 29, 2011

... West Coast Grilled Vegetable Pizza

I have a confession to make.  Last night I went for cocktails with friends and ended up with this for dinner.


Yes, we went for happy hour on Monday.  Yes, that's oatmeal and blueberries.  Hey, technically it qualifies for Meatless Monday... but because I know that it's kind of a no-brainer, I thought I'd provide you with a much better meatless recipe that I made tonight.  Now introducing... my new favorite pizza.  


These fresh veggies are right up my alley and the goat cheese, well, don't get me started.  The crispness of the spinach and the creamy avocado are perfect with the tangy oil and vinegar dressing.  It's all just so very tasty and summery.  Maybe it'll be a favorite of yours, too.


West Coast Grilled Vegetable Pizza
serves 4

3 tablespoons olive oil
all-purpose flour, for shaping dough
1 pound store-bought pizza dough, fresh, or thawed if frozen
2 plum tomatoes, thinly sliced crosswise
2 scallions, white and green parts separated, thinly sliced
1 log (5 ounces) soft goat cheese, crumbled
coarse salt and ground pepper
1 bag (5 ounces) baby spinach
1 avocado, halved, pitted, peeled, and diced
2 tablespoons red-wine vinegar

Heat grill to medium.  Brush a large rimless baking sheet (or an inverted rimmed sheet) with 1 tablespoon oil.  On a lightly floured work surface, roll and stretch dough to two 8-inch ovals or rounds.  Transfer to prepared sheet.  Brush tops with 1 tablespoon oil.

Transfer dough to grill.  Cook, without turning over, until undersides are firm and being to char, 2 to 3 minutes.  Using tongs and a large spatula, place crusts on baking sheet, grilled side up.

Scatter crusts with tomatoes, scallion whites, and cheese; season with salt and pepper, and slide back onto grill.  Cook, rotating occasionally, until cooked through and cheese begins to melt, 3 to 5 minutes.  Transfer to a cutting board.

In a medium bowl, combine spinach, avocado, scallion greens, vinegar, and remaining tablespoon oil; season with salt and pepper, and toss to combine.  Pile mixture onto pizzas, halve, and serve.

Taylor's Notes:


I used refrigerated pizza dough which is absolutely easy and pretty darn tasty, actually.  Next time I'll make a stop at a local pizza shop and buy dough from them.  It'll make these pizzas that much better... plus they have whole wheat crust.


From start to finish, this recipe might have taken me 20 minutes.  How easy is that?  Perfect for a weeknight or a weekend when you've spent your entire day playing in the sun.  Oh Summer, please come soon! 


Also, I used my grill pan inside rather than my outdoor grill because, well, did I mention that it's not warm here yet?  Pizza on the grill is really delicious, though, so that'll be happening soon.  Very soon.  Isn't that right, Mother Nature?


Enjoy!

No comments: