February 21, 2010

... Steak with Potato Salad and Blue Cheese Vinaigrette

I'm not really a steak and potatoes kind of girl.  I mean, sure, I like a good steak every once in a while, especially if Dad or Rich is grilling it, but I never really crave it.  When I was flipping through my latest issue of Real Simple this recipe popped out at me (it was most likely the words "Blue Cheese Vinaigrette" that actually did the popping) so I thought I'd give it a whirl.


With a few small changes, I think this recipe will stay in rotation throughout the year.  The salad was really good and very easy and would pair well with chicken, burgers, steak, or pork - or anything else you're little heart desires, I'm sure.



Steak with Potato Salad and Blue Cheese Vinaigrette
serves 4

1 pound small red potatoes (about 12)
kosher salt and black pepper
1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon olive oil
4 small steaks (such as Newport, flat iron or top round, 1 1/2 pounds total)
1/4 cup crumbled blue cheese (about 1 ounce)
2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
1 small head Boston lettuce, torn (about 4 cups)

Place the potatoes in a large pot and add enough cold water to cover.  Bring to a boil and add 2 teaspoons salt. Reduce heat and simmer until tender, 14 to 16 minutes.  Drain, run under cold water to cool, and using a fork or your fingers, break the potatoes in half.

Meanwhile, heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.  Season the steaks with 1 teaspoon salt and 3/4 teaspoon pepper and cook to the desired doneness, 4 to 5 minutes per side for medium-rare.

In a large bowl, combine the blue cheese, vinegar, the remaining 1/4 cup of oil, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper.  Add the lettuce and potatoes and toss to coat.  Serve with the steaks.

Taylor's Notes:
I attempted to adjust the amount of potatoes I bought for just the two of us.  As it turns out, 5 medium size red potatoes ends up weighing about a pound and that actually ended up being a good portion for us.  If I were you, I'd just buy what you think you'll eat based on the number of people you're serving or how hungry you are.  I don't think the salad will keep very long with the lettuce dressed, but I have a bit leftover in my refrigerator so I'll let you know.  As for cooking the potatoes, I'd probably leave them on for 17 or 18 minutes.  You want them to be soft enough that you can easily cut them with a fork, but not soft enough to mash.  We cooked ours for 15 minutes and I think a couple more minutes would have been about perfect.  Again, that'll depend on the size of your potatoes.


We bought top round steak as the recipe calls for and, although it tasted good, it was a little tough.  I think we'll try this next time with a nice filet or something a little more substantial that we can grill outside.  The top round was kind of thin and cooked much quicker than the recipe says, so you'll want to adjust that per the type of steak you buy.


The salad was delicious and, as I mentioned, we'll be making that again in the coming months.  It's a great twist on the traditional potato salad with the Boston lettuce and vinaigrette dressing.  Adjust the amount of blue cheese you use to your liking as well.  I love blue cheese, so I'm guessing I used more like 1/2 cup or so of that in the dressing... and the extra chunks are delicious with a bite of steak!


Enjoy!

1 comment:

Kerstin said...

I've got to try that blue cheese vinaigrette dressing!