March 3, 2010

... Overnight Coffee Cake

One of my most favorite things to do is bake.  Cookies, cakes, cupcakes, pies, coffee cakes, you name it, I love it.  It's comfort food and it makes people happy.  This is definitely one of my go-to recipes and now it's in the Kansas City Star!  One of my good friends, Steph, submitted my name to the Come Into My Kitchen feature writer and look at me!, I'm a star!... or at least in the Star.  


Look how fluffy that cake is!  You can see the flecks of cinnamon and nutmeg and, as a special bonus, it makes your kitchen smell amazing.


serves 12-16

1 cup sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
2/3 cup oleo

Cream together and add 2 eggs

1 cup buttermilk
2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon cinnamon

Add dry ingredients alternately with buttermilk.  Beat well.  Spread in a greased 9 x 13 pan.  Sprinkle with topping (see below).  Refrigerate overnight.  Bake at 350 degrees for 30-40 minutes.

Topping:
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 cup pecans, chopped
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg

Taylor's Notes:
There's really nothing to note about this recipe except that I got it from my mom who has had it for 20+ years who got it from one of her good friends who has had it for 35+ years... it's pretty much tried and true.  What more can you ask for?

Enjoy!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Found your blog through the KC Star story this morning. Glad I did. I'm loving the recipes and the look of the blog. Congratulations for the publicity and thanks for sharing so many delicious dishes!

Reid P said...

Nice post tthanks for sharing