March 12, 2012

... Lighter Chicken Enchiladas

I love new cookbooks.  Shocker, I'm sure.  I especially love new cookbooks that are kind of sequels to a favorite cookbook that I already have and are dubbed "light".  Win win.  If you're in the market for a new one, I'd highly recommend Everyday Food : Light... the sister of Everyday Food : Great Food Fast.  Really, you should own both, because they're both excellent... yes, do that, buy both.


Look at that sauce!  That light (!) sauce!  Don't you just want to dip your finger in it?



I honestly think that you could use this chicken mixture as the topping for nachos or put it in tacos, but it's really good rolled in corn tortillas and doused in sauce and topped with cheese... with a little dollop of light sour cream.



Lighter Chicken Enchiladas
serves 4

3 boneless, skinless, chicken breast halves (6 to 8 ounces each)
coarse salt and ground pepper
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 to 2 tablespoons minced canned chipotles in adobo
1 can (14.5 ounces) low-sodium chicken broth
1/2 cup water
8 corn tortillas (6-inch), warmed
1/2 cup grated Monterey Jack cheese (2 ounces)

In a large skillet, bring 1 inch water to a boil.  Add chicken and season with salt; cover and reduce heat to medium-low.  Simmer 5 minutes; remove skillet from heat.  Let chicken steam, covered, until cooked through, 12 to 14 minutes.  Transfer chicken to a medium bowl; when cool enough to handle, shred with two forks.

While chicken is cooking, in a medium saucepan, heat oil over medium heat.  Add garlic, cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 1 minute.  Add flour, cumin, and chipotles to taste; cook, whisking, 1 minute.  Whisk in broth and the water; bring to a boil.  Reduce to a simmer, and cook, whisking occasionally, until sauce has thickened slightly, 5 to 8 minutes; season with salt and pepper.  Transfer 1 cup sauce to bowl with chicken; toss to combine.

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  Spread 1/4 cup of remaining sauce evenly in an 8-inch square baking dish.  Fill each tortilla with chicken mixture, dividing evenly; roll up tightly, and arrange, seam side down, in baking dish.  Cover with remaining sauce, and top with cheese.  Bake until cheese is melted and sauce is bubbling, 15 to 20 minutes.  Let cool 5 minutes before serving.

Taylor's Notes:
To warm the tortillas, stack them and wrap them in damp paper towels and microwave for 30 to 60 seconds until soft.  This really helps them to not crack and tear when you're filling and rolling them up.  


I get that this is a light recipe and I probably shouldn't add more sauce, but I think I'll make just a tad bit more on the next go around.  More sauce, less cheese... if I must make a sacrifice.  And, speaking of cheese, I used pepper jack for a little more spice.  And, for the same reason, I added 3 or 4 chipotle chilies.  


I had this for leftovers a couple times and even froze one serving.  It heats up really well and anyone who knows me knows how I feel about leftovers, so eating this four different times really says a lot!


Enjoy!  

No comments: