August 29, 2012

... Superfood Salad with Lemon Vinaigrette

It probably goes without saying that I'm a fan of cooking blogs and I think I've mentioned a time or two that I've found some great recipes on Pinterest.  Well, add this one to the list... maybe even the top of the list.


And if this is one of my favorite new recipes, then quinoa is one of my favorite new ingredients.  It's so versatile - sweet, savory, breakfast, dinner - and really quick and easy to make.  It has a ton of protein and few carbs.  Quinoa, I think I love you.


The ingredient list is a little random... oranges, black beans, corn, pomegranate, avocado.  But it all comes together so perfectly with a light, lemon vinaigrette.  On its own or as a side, this salad will be showing up in my kitchen on a regular basis.


Superfood Salad with Lemon Vinaigrette
serves 5

1/2 cup dry quinoa
1/3 cup red onion, chopped
1 orange, peeled, segmented, and chopped
1 avocado, chopped
1 cup canned black beans, rinsed and drained
1 cup pomegranate arils (about 1 pomegranate worth)
1 cup frozen corn, thawed
1/3 cup cilantro, chopped
salt and pepper

Cook quinoa according to package directions.  Set aside to cool.

Combine cooled quinoa with red onion, orange segments, avocado, beans, pomegranate arils, corn, cilantro, salt and pepper.  Pour Lemon Vinaigrette over the salad and stir to combine.  Serve cold or at room temperature.

Lemon Vinaigrette
2 lemons, juiced (you need 1/4 cup juice)
2 garlic cloves, finely minced
dash of sweetener (agave nectar, stevia, or white sugar)
salt and pepper
6 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil

Taylor's Notes:
This superfood salad is super easy... and super delicious!  I added grilled shrimp for a little extra oompf, but it'd be great without meat, too.  I didn't find the pomegranate seeds, so left them out.  I'm sure they'd add good color and flavor, but I didn't miss them and I'm not sure it'd be worth the work to dig them out of an actual pomegranate.  Who knows, though, let me know if you give it a shot!

Enjoy!


No comments: