July 4, 2010

... Strawberry Pie

Ahhhh, Summer.  One of the best things about it is all the fresh fruit and, after seeing the bright red strawberries, I'm always reminded of one great recipe - Strawberry Pie.


Arguably one of the easiest pies to make, you'll never need much of a push to whip it up.    



This time around, I decided it would be the perfect addition to our Fourth of July celebration.  It's cool and refreshing and after you top it off with fresh whipped cream, you can sit back and enjoy the great perks of Summer.



Strawberry Pie


1 cup 7-Up
3 tablespoons cornstarch
1 cup sugar
1 small package strawberry Jello
1 pie crust

Combine first three ingredients, cook to boil, remove from fire and add the Jello.  Cool, pour over baked pie shell filled with fresh strawberries.  Put in refrigerator until set.  Serve with whipped cream.

Taylor's Notes:
This is another great recipe from my Grandma Norma.  That's really all I should have to say, but because most of you don't know her , I'll continue.  Strawberry Pie has been around for as long as I can remember and it's one of my favorite pies - which is saying a lot because I.Love.Pie.  All pie.  Seriously. 


Now, my grandma would make her own pie crust.  I haven't quite mastered that skill from her yet - Grandma, lessons needed!! - so I use Pillsbury Refrigerated Pie Crust.  Grandma would say that it's just as good, if not better, than hers, but we all know that's not true.  However, it is pretty darn good.  So, whatever pie crust you choose to use, bake it according to its directions and you're good to go.  After it's baked and cooled, fill her up with loads of fresh strawberries (cut them in half if they're large so they'll be easier to eat) and then carefully pour on the Jello mixture.


Pop that pie in the refrigerator to set the Jello and you'll have a delicious, refreshing summer pie in no time.  And you'll thank my Grandma... again.


Enjoy!

5 comments:

thisgirlsworld said...

taylor! i LOVE your blog. my mom makes this pie and i love it! although...i don't think she uses 7-Up...i'm going to have to try this recipe. yum!

taylor said...

thanks kristen! definitely let me know if you make the pie - and how it compares to your mom's recipe!

Lindsay said...

How many strawberries should I use?

taylor said...

yinnie - i used 3 containers of strawberries which worked out great, but you can always add or take away depending on how full you want your pie. yum!

Brooke Taylor said...

Kate brought this pie to our Girl's BBQ last night and it was SO GOOD! I felt like I was eating a healthy dessert. :) Thanks Taylor, Kate, and Grandma Norma for introducing me to Strawberry Pie! I'm making it for my 4th of July trip to the lake!