August 5, 2010

... Chicken and Guacamole Tostadas

Ok, kids, get ready for the easiest, tastiest, and freshest no-cook summer meal ever.  Yes, ever.  And it only takes 20 minutes to throw together.  I know, right, it's a busy girl's (or guy's) dream come true.  Start with fresh veggies: tomatoes, avocado, lime, onion, cilantro.  Add in fresh jalapeno and garlic.  Layer it all on a crunchy corn tortilla with some spiced up rotisserie chicken and you've got dinner.


The creamy avocado-turned-guacamole is a delicious addition to the spicy-but-not-hot chicken and the cool, fresh tomato salsa is just the right topper for this ready-in-a-minute meal.



serves 4 (2 tostadas each)

1 ripe peeled avocado
1 cup plus 2 tablespoons finely chopped tomato, divided
3 tablespoons minced fresh onion, divided
3 tablespoons fresh lime juice, divided
1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
1 small garlic clove, minced
1 tablespoon fresh chopped cilantro
1 tablespoon minced seeded jalapeno pepper
2 cups shredded skinless, boneless rotisserie chicken breast
1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
8 (6-inch) corn tostada shells

Place avocado in a small bowl; mash with a fork.  Stir in 2 tablespoons tomato, 1 tablespoon onion, 1 tablespoon lime juice, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and garlic.

Combine remaining 1 cup tomato, 2 tablespoons onion, 1 tablespoon lime juice, 1/4 teaspoon salt, cilantro, and jalapeno; toss well.

Combine chicken, remaining 1 tablespoon lime juice, and paprika; toss well to combine.  Spread about 1 tablespoon guacamole over each tostada shell; top each with 1/4 cup chicken mixture and about 2 tablespoons salsa.  

Taylor's Notes:
I made this for just me and I honestly didn't pay much attention to the measurements of ingredients.  For the guac, I used half an avocado, the juice from half of a lime, half of a roma tomato, a little onion, the whole garlic clove and a dash of salt.  For the salsa I used the remaining half of tomato, a little more onion, the other half of the lime, another dash of salt, and a sprinkling of cilantro.  I totally missed the fresh jalapeno in the recipe when I was making my grocery list, so I just used some homemade pickled jalapeno peppers that I had in my refrigerator (thanks Larry!!)

I had leftover rotisserie chicken from an earlier recipe I'd made and I definitely used more than 1/4 teaspoon of smoked paprika.  Just eyeball it and if you like more of that flavor add more, if you don't, use less.  

I'll most definitely be eating this one again soon!

Enjoy!

No comments: