February 14, 2011

... Cuban Black Beans and Rice

Hi bloggies!  Welcome to our very first Meatless Monday!  Based on the image below, I think we're going to do just fine.  Who else loves fresh veggies and herbs?


Especially when you saute them with lots of great spices and add black beans...




... then serve it with rice and tortilla chips (and, yeah ok, a cold beer)... hey, no one said this was Carb-less Monday!


Cuban Black Beans and Rice
serves 4

1 cup long-grain white rice
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 onion, chopped
1 bell pepper, cut into 1/4-inch pieces
2 cloves garlic, chopped
kosher salt and black pepper
1 teaspoon ground cumin
2 15.5-ounce cans black beans, rinsed
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
4 radishes, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
1/4 cup fresh cilantro

Cook the rice according to the package directions.

Meanwhile, heat the oil in a saucepan over medium-high heat.

Add the onion, bell pepper, garlic, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, 5 to 7 minutes.

Stir in the cumin and cook for 1 minute.

Add the beans, oregano, and 1 cup water.  Simmer, covered, for 10 minutes.

Add the vinegar.  Smash some of the beans with the back of a fork to thicken.  Serve over the rice.  Top with the radishes and cilantro.

Taylor's Notes:


Meatless Monday Numero Uno and we're off to a good start.  No, I wasn't super thrilled about using the obvious meatless ingredient for my first Meatless Monday recipe, but hey you do what you can.  Don't get me wrong, I love black beans.  I just didn't think they were all that inspiring.  Anyhoo... it's a tasty little number and I definitely recommend it.  Just don't think it's all I have up my sleeve.


Per the reviews on the original recipe, I added more spice to battle the "blandness" that my other home chefs discovered.  So, along with the cumin, which I added a tad bit more of, I added hot mexican chili powder.  I also doubled the amount of red wine vinegar and oregano.  That pretty much did the trick , but definitely add your own spin to it.  Loved the bright, cool crunch of the radishes and cilantro.


Enjoy!

No comments: