October 31, 2011

... treats, not tricks

I don't know about you, but I've always been a 'treats' girl myself.  They're so much nicer than tricks, don't you think?  Last year I made these little gems and the year before I topped them with a candy corn... cute, right?  Whether you have a lot of time to spare or just a little, there are a lot of fun ways to treat the special people in your life... and if you do, maybe they won't trick you!


Ghost Cookies
1 package Nutter Butter cookies
1 package vanilla Almond Bark
mini chocolate chips

Dip each cookie in melted almond bark to coat and shake off the excess.  Place the covered cookie on a sheet of wax paper to harden, being sure to add two "eyes" before it does.

Taylor's Notes:
I really have no idea where I learned this, but these little ghosts are always a hit when I make them.  Here's my one bit of information, though.  Definitely use Almond Bark.  It melts better and tastes better than the other brands and it's cheaper, too.  Win Win.  When you're melting the bark, do it over a double-boiler and you'll have a smooth coating on all your cookies.  Just put a bit of water in a small saucepan and bring it to a simmer.  Put the Almond Bark in a glass bowl and place it on the saucepan (make sure the bowl is larger than the saucepan and don't let the water touch the bowl).  Stir it occasionally and you'll be good to dip in no time.


Another Fall / Halloween staple is Candy Corn & Peanut Mix.  Does anyone have a better name for this?  I know there are several variations that include M&M's or other tasty candy, but I prefer the simple mix best. And, if you ask me, the perfect ratio is two peanut halves to one candy corn.


A new favorite I learned this year (thanks to my sister!) is the S'mores Mix.  Put equal parts Golden Grahams cereal, mini marshmallows, and semi-sweet chocolate chips in a bowl, stir them up and Voila! S'mores!  No campfire necessary.

I'm pretty sure these two mixes went over much better with all my friends than a bunch of tricks would any day!

Happy Halloween!

1 comment:

kate said...

see... stick with me and i can teach you a thing or two. :)