November 29, 2011

... Easy Popovers

When I saw these guys in my latest Real Simple magazine, I knew I'd be making them soon.  I'd always heard that popovers were difficult to make, but these looked simple.  Hey, they came out of Real Simple and they even have the word 'easy' in the name.  How could I resist giving them a shot?

Sure, they don't look exactly like the picture in the magazine, but they were tasty and easy.  And, hey, I can work on the aesthetic.  If you enjoy bread as much as me, give these a try!


Easy Popovers
makes 12

3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted, plus more for the pan
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, spooned and leveled
1 1/2 cups whole milk
4 large eggs
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt

Heat oven to 400 degrees.  Brush the cups of a 12-cup nonstick muffin tin with butter.

In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, milk, eggs, butter, and salt until only a few lumps remain (do not overmix).

Divide the batter among the prepared muffin cups and bake until puffed and a deep golden brown, 30 to 35 minutes.  (Do no open oven door before 30 minutes or the popovers will collapse.  Remove 1 popover to check that the underside is browned.)  Serve immediately.

Taylor's Notes:
As I said, these were really easy to make.  My only problem was that they stuck to the pan a bit when I tried to take them out.  Next time, I will definitely grease the pan more... maybe brushing it with melted butter would be better than trying to smear cold butter on the pan?  :)


Enjoy!


No comments: