March 7, 2011

... 4 Cheese Macaroni

I think I've mentioned my love for comfort food once or twice, no?  I thought so.  So it should come as no surprise to you that when I spotted this four cheese macaroni I knew I had to make it.  


The good news is it's really easy and relatively quick in the realm of homemade mac n' cheese.  The bad news is it's really easy and relatively quick in the realm of homemade mac n' cheese... you may find yourself making it a little too often (you know, if you like comfort food like I do).



3 cups pasta
2 cups heavy whipping cream
1/4 cup grated Mozzarella
1/4 cup grated Sharp Cheddar
1/4 cup grated Smoked Gouda
1/4 cup grated Pecorino
1 tablespoon cold butter
bread crumbs
cherry tomatoes
basil
salt and pepper

Cook your pasta until al dente in well salted water.  Shock (in cold water) and drain.  In a heavy sauce pot or cast iron pan, bring the cream to a slow rolling boil and reduce by half.  Mix in your cheeses, stirring constantly.  If you don't, you'll regret it, because you'll run the risk of scorching your pan, and having a burnt cheese coating that will take forever to scrape off.  Fold in your cooked pasta and cold butter until the cheeses have coated the noodles.  If the pasta is too thick, add more cream until you get your desired consistency.  Sprinkle bread crumbs over the top - just a light layer.  Broil on high until the crumbs have turned a golden brown.  Garnish with sliced cherry tomatoes and chiffonade basil.  

Taylor's Notes:

I had no doubt this would be a good recipe knowing where it came from.  The Four Foodies never disappoint and this was no exception.  The mac n' cheese was cheesy enough without being overly rich and the four selected cheeses worked really well together.  This will definitely be a recipe I keep on hand (much to my hips dismay)...

Enjoy!

1 comment:

kate said...

it was SO yummy. i could eat the whole dish. my pants would not thank me.