March 16, 2011

... Chipotle Bean Burritos

I've really become quite a fan of Cooking Light magazine.  I'll admit, I was a little skeptical at first... who wouldn't be, but I have to say that some of my favorite recipes come from it.  And this is another to add to the list.


One big thing that I love about it is that I typically have most of the ingredients in my pantry.  Ok, so those black beans aren't organic, and yes, that's corn, not kidney beans... but what's also great is that you can improvise and still make great, healthy recipes that will most likely start appearing on your dinner table time and time again.


The recipes nearly always call for fresh veggies and herbs and great spices, but don't force you to shy away from not-so-great-for-you sour cream and cheese.  But really, who doesn't use light sour cream these days anyway?


Cooking Light is definitely a keeper in my book... er, magazine.

6 servings

1 tablespoon canola oil
1 garlic clove, minced
1/2 teaspoon chipotle chile powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup water
1 (15 ounce) can organic black beans, drained
1 (15 ounce) can organic kidney beans, drained
3 tablespoons refrigerated fresh salsa
6 (10-inch) reduced fat flour tortillas
1 cup (4 ounces) pre-shredded  reduced fat 4-cheese Mexican blend cheese
1 1/2 cups chopped plum tomato (about 3)
1 1/2 cups shredded romaine lettuce
6 tablespoons thinly sliced green onions
6 tablespoons light sour cream

Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat.  Add garlic to pan; cook 1 minute, stirring frequently.  Stir in chile powder and salt; cook 30 seconds, stirring constantly.  Stir in 1/3 cup water and beans; bring to a boil.  Reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes.  Remove from heat; stir in salsa.  Partially mash bean mixture with a fork.

Warm tortillas according to package directions.  Spoon about 1/3 cup bean mixture into center of each tortilla.  Top each serving with about 2 1/2 tablespoons cheese, 1/4 cup tomato, 1/4 cup lettuce, 1 tablespoon onions, and 1 tablespoon sour cream; roll up.

Taylor's Notes:

As I mentioned, I didn't use organic black beans and didn't use the kidney beans at all.  It's not that I don't love kidney beans, I just didn't have them on hand.  I used Mexican Hot chile powder and love the kick it gave.   All in all a great Meatless Monday!

Enjoy! 



No comments: