March 13, 2011

... Southwestern Omelet

Breakfast for dinner is one of my favorite things.  Typically I go for something more sweet - it's like dinner and dessert wrapped into one! - but the black beans and cilantro in this recipe really caught my attention.


I also loved what a quick fix this was.  After a long day at work, sometimes it's nice to come home and not stand in the kitchen for an hour before you're ready to eat.


I hyped it up a bit with a few slices of fresh avocado and a dollop of sour cream for a truly Southwestern meal.


Southwestern Omelet
serves 2

2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
1/4 teaspoon salt
4 large egg whites
1 large egg
1/2 cup canned black beans, rinsed and drained
1/4 cup chopped green onions
1/4 cup (1 ounce) reduced-fat shredded cheddar cheese
1/4 cup bottled salsa
cooking spray

Combine first 4 ingredients in a medium bowl, stirring with a whisk.  Combine beans, onions, cheese, and salsa in a medium bowl.

Heat a medium nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray over medium heat.  Pour egg mixture into pain; let egg mixture set slightly.  Tilt  pan and carefully lift edges of omelet with a spatula; allow uncooked portion to flow underneath cooked portion.  Cook 3 minutes; flip omelet.  Spoon bean mixture onto half of omelet.  Carefully loosen omelet with a spatula; fold in half.  Cook 1 minute or until cheese melts.  Slide omelet onto a plate; cut in half.

Taylor's Notes:


As I mentioned, this is a really quick and easy recipe.  I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have thought to put the cilantro in the eggs and what a great idea!  I halved the recipe and had more than enough of the bean mixture.  Not a problem for me, though!  I just ate it right alongside of the omelet.  One recommendation... heat the beans a little before mixing them with the onions and cheese.  They aren't in the skillet long enough to really warm up, so next time I'll definitely heat them prior to putting them with the eggs.


Enjoy!

No comments: